The main purpose of this role is to research, commission and oversee the development and maintenance of competitive products in the Primary market segment that meet teachers’ needs and ultimately increase revenue generation for Folens.
Head of Primary
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Undertake market research on specific educational trends, products and subject areas and complete direct and indirect competitor analyses in order to identify the most attractive opportunities where Folens can compete effectively.
- Develop strong networks amongst the teaching community and general education sector to ensure timely, high-quality intelligence about educational developments and teacher attitudes and needs.
- Responsible for forward planning to optimise revenue and profits from your market segments, prioritising activity and communicating implications for the product teams and sales and marketing.
- Create customer-focussed, competitively positioned and commercially viable proposals for new, revised or enhanced products with a view to maximising the customer value of each product in your portfolio.
- Articulate the customer value proposition – defining the target market segment, the benefit delivered, the reasons to believe and the positioning vis a vis the competition.
- Specify the product and its components, digital, print and other media, that will deliver the value proposition.
- Ensure the commitment of sales and marketing departments and the product teams’ delivery of the agreed customer value proposition.
- Recruit and manage authors/suppliers/vendors (as appropriate), negotiating legally compliant and cost-effective contracts and ensuring they work to agreed specifications and submission dates and deliver the agreed value proposition.
- Work closely with authors and the digital and editorial teams from the beginning to the end of the product life cycle to ensure the programme content is of the highest quality
- In conjunction with the Project Manager, regularly review costs against budgets and delivery against schedule through to product release and serve as an escalation point for decision making on significant issues as required
- Collate, document and respond to customer queries and feedback
- Act as product ambassador for your subject areas; provide training and support to customer facing roles in the sales and service functions of the business.
- Take an active part in business-critical projects as required by senior management
- A publishing plan in line with Folens revenue and profitability expectations
- Products which are competitively positioned, meet customer needs and therefore achieve their sales forecasts
- Delivery of the agreed products on time and on budget
- Strong personal drive for results, including product championship, decision-making and analytical skills.
- A genuine interest in educational material and the desire to be involved in the future of the sector.
- An ability to understand the world of the classroom and teachers’ lives in order to identify needs which may not already be satisfied.
- A commercial mind to increase the company’s market share and profitability.
- The confidence to build relationships with experienced authors, examiners, and professional organisations.
- Creative flair to identify innovative approaches to meeting customers’ needs.
- Good interpersonal skills to persuade the best authors to work with Folens and to champion products with other functional teams within the organisation
- Good communication skills and a ‘can-do’ approach to work
- The ability to work independently as well as cooperatively within successful product and sales and marketing teams.
- The ability to multi-task and work on a number of business-critical projects on similar time frames.
- A high level of organisational and decision-making skills to ensure deadlines are met.
Must have (essentials)
- 3rd level qualification
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working in educational publishing
- Experience in creating highly illustrated, educational books and blended print and digital programmes
- Interest and passion for education
- Knowledge of the education market