WHAT IS JOLLY PHONICS?
Jolly Phonics is a fun and child centred approach to teaching literacy through synthetic phonics. With actions for each of the 42 letter sounds, the multi-sensory method is very motivating for children and teachers, who can see their students achieve. The letter sounds are split into these seven groups:
LETTER SOUND ORDER
- The sounds are taught in a specific order (not alphabetically). This enables children to begin building words as early as possible.
SYNTHETIC PHONICS APPROACH
- Using a synthetic phonics approach, Jolly Phonics teaches children the five key skills for reading and writing. Complemented by Jolly Readers and Jolly Grammar, it provides a thorough foundation for teaching literacy over three years in school.
LEARNING THE LETTER SOUNDS
- Children are taught the 42 main letter sounds. This includes alphabet sounds as well as digraphs such as sh, th, ai and ue.
LEARNING LETTER FORMATION
- Using different multi-sensory methods, children learn how to form and write the letters.
- Children are taught how to blend the sounds together to read and write new words.
IDENTIFYING THE SOUNDS IN WORDS (SEGMENTING)
- Listening for the sounds in words gives children the best start for improving spelling.
- Tricky words have irregular spellings and children learn these separately.
For full details of resources please contact your representative or visit our Literacy Shop.